Monday, February 7, 2011

Double feature

I wanted to kick this blog's first writings off with a bang, so I'm going to share 3 pieces today.  One is going to be by one of my ex-band mates and best friends Erik Reeder.

Reeder and I were in the band Maury together for a few years. One of the things I love about Reeder is the honesty that shows through his work.  Though we end up having very different opinions from each other on most issues, we come from a mutual love and respect from each other.  Currently, I believe he has a band in Jacksonville, Fl, that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but will correct this when Reeder reminds me.  He also books Metal Mondaze in Jax.  So to start off we have...



Untitled by Erik Reeder

I drank ten beers out of the twelve pack.
"Drive me to get a fucking cigarette," I protested as I forgot who I was protesting to.
I called her, no answer. Right to her voice mail. Typical.
I texted her sincerely, "text me, please." No respsonse. I passed out. It was 2:14 am.
I poured a drink right before this mission. I only took one sip.

The phone rang. It was a few minutes until 11.
"Hello...," I groaned.
"Hello, babe, how are you?" she said happily and eagerly as if she had been fucked in the ass the night before.
"Good, you?"
"I'm getting read for work..." She proceeded to tell me about her night in which she hung out with my friends at a bar and then met an asshole who plays a trumpet in a stupid fucking ska band. Thanks. I thought to myself, "you couldn't call me back because you had your head in the butthole of a dickbag's trumpet?"
... Awesome, I hung up.
She called back. I denied.
She called again, I picked up, "What?!"
"Why do you...?" I hung up once again. I shut my phone off (for a minute before turning it back on; I'd use the excuse the phone 'just died').
I set the phone on the nightstand. The glass I poured the night before was half-empty (or half-full). I finished it off. Rolled over and fell back asleep. I knew the story would change.

It did. It always does. But, I knew this. I knew it all along. I waited until night to let her know I knew. I needed another drink.
Nothing coorelated. It never never did. I knew this. I knew this all along.
I needed another drink. Still.



Next we have one of my poems.  Currently I'm in the band Iron Will, though we are playing our last show sometime this year. Here are 2 of my favorite poems I've written.

My life is a power-violence songBy Mike R.

I am an asbestos snow flake
Falling to gravel ground
Where there is no down left
But up is a friendly smile
And comforting words to satiate
A starving ego
A voice in chords
Playing a minimalist melody
For those life-aches
When you cant get out of bed
After spending years on sleep


Earth is Purgatory By Mike Roberti

Confined to life
Behind cemetery walls

Grey despair hangs over
Fallen halo heads

Driving down every
Dead end street

Life half-lived discarded
Between heaven above

And the hell bellow
When all thats keeping

You alive is life itself
And the mortal coil remains

Earth is purgatory

Well there you have it. If you like the blog make sure to comment and subscribe and pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment