Sunday, March 6, 2011

There is a light that never goes out

I've got 3 poems from 3 people who aren't me this time!  Very exciting.






First is by Tom Lambert.  I've known Tom for about a year and a half now.  One of the things I admire about Tom's writing, is that he is constantly working on his craft.  I'm very pleased to be presenting this poem to you.


Truth and All Her Friends by Tom Lambert

Hope, with all its weathered wings
Is but a false and fruitless thing;
A window built of glass and pane
That cracks and breaks from wind and rain

Hope is flightless, lifeless wings,
An epidemic hindering
The spread of Truth and all her friends
Whose strength and weight both break and mend

Break the ties of love and heart
To reconstruct the thinking parts
With reason shall we free the host
Who houses dead and hopeful ghosts

Truth will amputate so swift
The useless lumps that claim to lift
And finally slay the baseless lie
That human hearts were meant to fly

Next is a poem by Ian Mullins.  I've known him for quite some time as well.  I believe he has had several of his poems/short stories published, and I have to say the poem he submitted for this is my favorite that I have read.

Jack by Ian Mullins

In dream Spring
meaning this:
phantom clutch, kiss.

Sifting sounds of
leafy trees,
tunneled mole-hills
the mender’s morning weep.

Dewey limbs splinter, shine-leaf
Virginia Creeper,
Sun-flecked face’s sweet picture--
a boy upon a hill.

Next up is James "Trey" Clevenger."  Trey is one of the first people I met up at App, he is one of my oldest friends at the school.  Trey views life through an admittedly different lens, but it's his view points that often hit closest to home. Without further ado:

Corporate Sleep by James "Trey" Clevenger

Secrets that keep us secure,
Binding our wills for their corporate greed.
Complacent in the shadows of their palaces,
We dream their lies.

They pay us enough to survive and work,
And expect us to feed their avarice without question.
Comatose Americans tired of nightmares,
Patiently await the chance to awake.

Fighting our indifference,
Hoping for a new world order,
And plotting our peace,
We now have a new dream.

We dream of riots, fires, and freedom.
We crave freedom from our oppressors,
We want a revolution to end our pain,
But we still sleep.

Wake and rail against the oppressors!
Fight the world and realize your dreams!
Throw the first punch, and wake your army!
The soldiers of the oppressed await your orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment