Disclaimer: I do not have expressed permission by this band to upload this album, however after years of looking for it and offering to buy it from them (with no response), I got lucky one night on soul seek (after a certain jerk "lost" my favorite cd). If anyone in The Culprits wants me to take this album down I will. If you like this album, the follow up "Nora" is available on itunes.
I gotta say, if it weren't for this album, I probably wouldn't have gotten to punk like I did. When I was about 14, I was straight edge and had been into punk for a few years, with some dabbling in the realm of hardcore. One night at a youth group event on the beach, two major things impacted my life. First, I met a girl who led me on until I was 20 and had moved from Melbourne. More importantly and more meaningful than anything I had with that girl, I heard this CD.
I remember putting on the headphones that fateful night and knowing I needed to start a punk band. The raw passion The Culprits put together in this CD was amazing. It really saddens me that they never got the recognition they deserve.
A few months after listening to this CD, I went to the show I was describing in an earlier article.
This is easily the best punk CD I've ever heard. 15 songs and an intro clocking in at 23 minutes. Every song an onslaught.
This band informed my political beliefs for my young life, though strangely, I was still very right wing.
I remember specifically during Harvest Fest when at, whatever they were calling the Teen Zone that year, the police got up on stage to stop the moshing during "Reform, Revolt" and the music stopped and everyone was chanting "Reform, reform, or we revolt" and pointing at the police. Especially the band. I mean, I'm not anti-cop these days, but I still remember going to their shows and feeling weird about pledging the flag at school the next day.
Also this CD has a badass cover of "Seeing Red" by Minor Threat. I've seen this band more times than I could hope to count.
With out further ado: Fifteen Thirteen by the Culprits
The Culprits - Fifteen Thirteen
Notable Tracks:
Reform, Revolt
Til The End
System of Greed
Amerikkkan Riot
Johnny Bombs Away
and pretty much every song on this cd
I won't upload Nora since it is still purchasable on itunes, but if there is general interest and it is unable to be found for purchase I do have "The Sinking Spell."
"Republicans, Democrats, you thieving aristocrats!"
No comments:
Post a Comment