Currently, I am watching a live feed of what is happening in Wisconsin. At the moment, I don't feel confident speaking to that. What is far more interesting is the chat bar next to the live feed, found here.
It's amazing to find people who would compare the (though dastardly) Senator Walker to Hitler. It is astounding. Sure, what he is doing is most likely going to be looked upon as breaking the law, however is that comparison not a bit of an overstatement? We can disagree with an action all we want, but to compare a man to a monster who was responsible for the worst war humanity has ever seen, and the massed genocide of minorities, is a bit much.
On the other side we have the supporters of Walker calling the public workers lazy and greedy. They have this right because, the workers can "strike all [they want] because the people who pay your salary still have to go to work tomorrow." Really? So, when I am trying to educate your children, I am the enemy. I want your money, because I want to squander it. Not because I will have a family like you do.
Teachers are looked upon with disdain in this country. Wisconsin is proof of that. Even perhaps, that all public workers are. I see anti-cop sentiment every time someone I know breaks the law. Did the officer force you to break the law? Or, are you upset you got caught? Did the teacher cause you to fail the test because they hate you? Or did you not study?
Another funny aspect of the chat bar is the culture jamming. I've seen everything from Reagan quotes, to repetitions of "unions suck" and "corporations suck."
Interrupt:
Interview with former mayor.
"What do we do tomorrow?"
"We take a small group and march them to..."
What does tomorrow hold? I can't say. I've seen a few people call for walkouts or strikes. I'm thankful the rumors of tear gas were proven false.
All I can say is the chat has devolved to the point where it could be the rivalry of fans on Super Bowl Sunday.
[Edit] I really wish people would stop comparing the situation to Egypt. That is not a fair comparison.
[Update] Some guy says "You know what is digusting," (in response to "You know whats disgusting? Union busting!" chants] "the private sector holding on to my tax money." Ok sir, who is going to police your area, put out your fires, watch your libraries, maintain your roads, teach your children and run your city? Volunteers?
No comments:
Post a Comment