Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Myth of the Ivory Tower: Interest in street art

Recently I've started being interested in street art.  I have to admit, "Exit Through the Gift Shop" got me started, so maybe I'm band wagoning. I really don't care either way. I've always liked to walk the tunnels (for the non-Appstate folk out there, we have 2 tunnels you are allowed to tag), and see what was new.  I find it interesting the different ways people try to portray themselves through their art. Often it falls into the categories of: tag, fast art, or something well thought out. Typically the first two.



Sometimes people write out funny sayings or sometimes fairly pretentious things about the human condition (in all honesty probably written by people far more informed than I am, I need to get my grind on and become more observant).  Today, I got up feeling like I needed to do something. So I made a stencil with a few lines that stuck in my head when I woke up "Where are your kings? Who are your masters?" It sounded cool and made me laugh at it's ridiculousness. I have no idea where I got that from.  I put a wounded wolf picture under it and "Stay Wounded"

Stencil making is something I saw many friends do back in my punk days in Florida.  These were put in places where they shouldn't have been, unlike the tunnels we have on campus.  I always found it intriguing.  My stencil came out alright, but got bent up a little before I was able to transport it.  Using the stencil gave me a strange sense of satisfaction.

I got started on this a few weeks ago. I was invited out by some art major friends to tag with them, since then I've gone 2 other times (including tonight, which I just got back from).  I'm not the most talented artist, in fact it would be a stretch to use that word in reference to me.  I've actually probably gotten more comments about how I'm not artsy.  Then again what is art?  I think that question doesn't have an answer, no matter how much we try to force one upon it.  Then again, I don't understand art.  In the end, I'd probably rather not be thought of as artsy.

I think the same can be said for literature.  To try to understand something to much is to do violence to it.  Sure, analysis is deserved but, I feel a little uneasy about worth statements.  Oh, I make them all the time, but then I feel...dirty.  Who are you or I to say what is or will be relevant?  It seems as college students we feel as though we have some innate right as "scholars" (I wouldn't say I even deserve to be called that term), to tear apart works we deem inferior.

I once got in a heated argument in a Beef O'Bradys with a drunk guy over whether or not general Ed. literature courses were a waste of time.  I hadn't had any alcohol, but my fervor for the topic came from having a terrible day.  His claim was he (a business major) is so far above the survey level class that they either needed to bring it up to his standards or get rid of it as a requirement.  To be fair the man was very drunk.  I asked what he wanted to be taught. "Ulysses."

It's this sentiment that spawns the idea that poetry needs to fit a formula, or be really out there and be hard to understand.  I've become very resentful of this sentiment.  Poetry can be anything.  Personally, I appreciate poetry that resonates with real life.  Robert Frost once said "Poetry is taking life by the throat."

My creative writing: poetry professor gave us all cards with what she enjoyed about our writing at the end of class.  Mine read "Your poetry is honest until it hurts, never lose that." This seems to illustrate that we replicate what we admire.  I've always been fascinated with people who really put themselves on display through the work.  Those who wade through the bullshit of who they want to be and show you who they are.

I hope when I write that sentiment comes through.  Maybe it doesn't, I have no idea.  For all you all know I'm a big faker.  I think the most important lesson is real art is done for the artist and it matter little what the populous interprets the motive as.

Also I drew on a pair of vans, but forgot to scotch guard them:
Once I get paid I'm gonna try again.


I'm going to edit this post later this week with some pics from tonight if they came out.  My friend Joel also made my friend and I wounded wolf t-shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment