Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Globalization, Social Networking, Me and You

To confess, as I sit here about to write this, I'm mildly amused by the fact that no one is likely to read this for at least a week.  Most of my views for this blog come from facebook and I have decided that I am deactivating facebook for at least one week.  I am also very aware that this very blog is a form of what I will be talking about.  Whatever, lets start with some background.



According to Meyers-Briggs I alternate between being an introvert and an extrovert with only minor margins between them.  Those who know me describe me as being friendly until they really think about it, I'm outspoken and friendly when among friends, but I live inside my own head.  The same can be true for anyone, of course.  Very few people are true introverts or true extroverts.  However, I need equal time with people and away from people.

Where does globalization come into this?  Why am I writing this, what probably appears to be ultra pretentious so far, article?  Just some observations I've had.

Globalization in a lot of ways is completely fantastic.  I have favorite foods that Americans 100 years ago probably wouldn't have had access too, let alone have heard of.  We have books from contemporary foreign authors that would have never made it so soon without increased focus on translation (I'm looking at you Murakami).  The exchange of ideas freely from one culture to another is a thing excellence, being able to contact our fellow people (loved ones and strangers) no matter where they are located is an incredible advent in technology.  In college I've met various friends from countries I knew nothing about except vague concepts of location (hello to my friends from Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America [edit: I don't know if I've actually met anyone from South America]).

However, I feel like we've lost something.  Even though I enjoy social networking (though it is popular to hate it), I always feel a strange disconnect.  Like I'm constant surrounding by people shouting and competing for everyones attention all at once.  There is so much information, and none of it is actually saying much.  People hide behind these personas to impress other peoples friends and so on and so forth.  Often times I find myself posting meaningless drivel.

Why?

I don't know.  I'm gonna take some time and think about this.

Edit: Due to having to sublease my apartment (ad on facebook market place) and needing to raise money for a mission trip this summer, my break has been cut short.  Globalization wins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment