Sunday, April 17, 2011

more poems





Playing cards with dead guys
If I was playing cards
with William
Carlos Williams
and he wagered
his wheelbarrow
I would kick him
out of my house
(even if so much
depends on it).


If it was Hemingway,
He would probably cheat 
(bastard).


If it was Tolstoy,
I sincerely doubt
He would play at all.
(maybe he is right).



In the beginning.
In the old meadow that child was born:
among hungry wolves, into a hostile world.


Large, dark rings trace his tired eyes,
staring longingly at a vast night sky.


Every breath a prayer said for protection,
echoing into his flickering consciousness.


He feels as though he is becoming undone,
his strength left him long ago in that field.


The whole earth groans at his lack of faith,
coming up around him, as if to swallow him.


Cold air mists out his nostrils into the blank;
Stiff limbs are the only caress he has to give.


Arts and Crafts (I wrote this one 2-3 years ago and posted it earlier [poems poems poems] but took it down because of events).


We were the hands
That were too close to holding


A construction paper heart 
cheaply made
(Craft class was never
my strongest pursuit
To much coordination
and glue involved
And we both know
I never took
Direction well)


“I like you”
“I like you too”


A limited expression
Expressed weakly


Next time I’ll nod and smile
Maybe you’ll wave


Probably not though


For-get-me-nots
Would only seem
Ironic and too easy



Pad Thai and Pipe Smokes (I wrote this last year, a favorite of mine).
Racing through a town
That doesn’t know my name
(I aim to keep it that way)
Surrounded by tranquility
Trying to forget life’s dirty laundry
But I find God’s glory
In pad thai and pipe smokes
(Sometimes cute girls
With pretty eyes)
Lazy sundays with little to do
Making the most of time
That isn’t mine
God blessed this day
(And this mountain)
And gave it to me
-Dedicated to living life
In memory of too many ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment