So I miscalculated how many disks there were (I never bothered to count) and didn't realize the final disk was special features, so I am already done with Band of Brothers.
I've always wanted to watch this series since seeing an odd episode here or there for the last few years. I found it on Amazon for about $30 including shipping near my birthday and went for it, new it goes for close to $80.
Wow.
I don't know that I've ever watched something so emotionally gripping or magnificent. This review may end up sort of gushing, but whatever.
Story wise, you can't get any better. I agree with reviews that say it's hard to follow who is who during battle scenes (helmets), but at the same time it doesn't often matter. The horrors of war are not glamorized here, you get a gritty feel and first hand accounts from the survivors of easy company that really put World War 2 in perspective. I would be lying if I claimed not to shed a few tears during the last episodes.
There is an episode, one of the last, where they find a concentration camp. Out of all the episodes, this one is probably the most interesting in terms of revealing the general knowledge and attitudes of the time. It is easy in hindsight to look at the war and see how it was justified, but we forget that concentration camps were only vague whispers (if that) at the time.
Visually the entire series is striking. The effects were well done and very believable. The gore is there but not over the top. Sound is also top notch, though it can be hard to hear dialogue during the fighting scenes.
I'm also a big fan of the board game Axis and Allies, this series really puts a human face to what was going on at the time, and those who gave their lives.
If you are interested in World War 2, I would go out and buy it now. This is one of the best things I've ever watched and I'm not a huge history buff.
If you are offended by nudity, there is only one scene that would be objectionable in the second half. Profanity is fairly prevalent throughout.
No comments:
Post a Comment