I had a long, wordy entry for this typed out but decided against posting it. I feel like that would cheapen the experience for both me and you the reader. If you would like information feel free to email me, facebook me or we could go get coffee or something sometime and talk about it.
Some highlights:
-Going to the local poor colonia's feeding centers and helping feed the children. Playing and singing with them. Playing soccer against their impossibly good older brothers. A little local girl tried to hold my hand but could only hold my finger, I could probably be her dad. Sometimes loving Jesus is going to a foreign country and singing and dancing to "Cristo es mi superhero!" (American sunday school songs need to step it up).
-Met lots of cool missionaries/workers. An ex-pro soccer player who helped us play soccer against the impossible good older brothers of the feeding center kids. A guy who got saved at a local skate bible study that I guess our group helped start. Another who was in a death metal band years and years ago. Many more.
-Sharing Christ in public locations and getting to know locals. It was amazing to see the warm reception we were greeted with by nearly everyone we spoke with. Amazing too was the excitement that many received the gospel with.
-Getting to know Jr. High kids a little better, which I think is going to help me with teaching. I had to use my teaching voice once or twice, but I was amazed to see the kids (at least the boys) still were happy to be around me. As one said "I would vote you for president."
One thing I noticed is people expect the work of God to be big and glamourous, or filled with miracles. For me, the work of Christ started when I was helping load and unload bags the first night. Every part no matter how small is integral to the whole.
After being home a few days, I can't say I miss the heat (and lack of AC) or the bugs, but I definitely miss the people and doing the work.
No comments:
Post a Comment